Wednesday, August 1, 2007

word adventure

I am not a good speller but I thought the word I wanted to use was "embullient." It was not in my dictionary. So I googled "embullient" and came up with a couple of hits that made me suspicious. One post said "embullient clemency" could not be used as a Googlewhack.

A Googlewhack?

www.dictionary.com comfirmed that "embullient" was not a word and gave me a list of possible words. My word, of course, was "ebullient."

Next step -- finding out what a Googlewhack was.

It's game where two words (both must be listed at www.dictionary.com ) produce only one Google hit.


The game has been around for about five years. The home page is
http://www.googlewhack.com/ And there are thousands of word pairs listed.

I wish all misspelled words produced such a moment of fun.

3 comments:

pagfloyd said...

ncie story. googlewhacking is fun alright! there is a book too on that. But, there are more rules for a pair to become a googlewhack - u'd find at the site u mentioned.

incidentally, i wrote an article on it a few days back, u might find it an interesting read: A Googlewhack approach to be a Googlewhacker!

Healan said...

Enjoyed your article on Googlewhacking. Doubt I'll ever try it. But I did find an interesting word site that had a section of weird words.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/
Might be a good place to find words that make a googlewhack.

Anonymous said...

This "thinking on paper" (or in cyber space) reminds me of a wonderful short story by Eugenia Collier entitled "Marigolds." If yu want to read it, but can't find it, just ask Jo for a copy